From: Bob Higgins

I worked with Marc Chason for many years at Motorola.  He is a former Argonne
Nat'l Labs researcher before coming to Motorola and has a strong material
science background.  We worked together on HTC superconductor applications at
Motorola.  Marc is now a consultant (his own company) and is closely associated
with Widom & Larsen.  I have a great deal of respect for his creativity and
ingenuity.

Jones Beene wrote:

This patent [application] is a huge surprise. Not only is the technique
obvious, many
other filings which relate to LENR have been denied for even mentioning the
subject…. There are numerous “equal protection” issues here. The USPTO is in
disarray
on this subject.

Chason’s filing is an application, as Terry sez - so I made the correction
above - and it will be interesting to see how it fares at USPTO in the end.
Given Chason’s creativity, one wonders if there is more to the application than
meets the eye.

Speaking of which – Chason mentions Larsen’s granted patent, which is “not
exactly” a patent for LENR, but instead is ostensibly worded to be used for
gamma shielding.

Larsen’s is a back-door or “sneaky” patent since it tries to sneak in more
coverage than is apparent in the abstract. That was probably the only way to
get anything through USPTO for a LENR reactor. Chason may be trying to do the
same.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,893,414.PN.&OS=PN/7,893,414&RS=PN/7,893,414>

&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,893,414.PN.&OS=PN/7,893,414&RS=PN/7,893,414

However, 7,893,414 appears to be so compromised and poorly conceived (insofar
as the basic claim of functional gamma shielding, which they cannot show in
practice) as to be essentially unenforceable. To be minimally enforceable, the
inventor would need to show the actual ability to completely shield high energy
fusion gammas (in the range of 24 MeV) - which they, nor anyone else, can do
without a heavy metal. For instance, they cite 5,887,042 (Akamatsu) from 1999
which uses titanium hydride along with lead - to give a lighter weight
shielding, but in practice this is no better than lead in terms of volume
required, and only manages to make the shielding slightly lower weight (and far
more costly). In fact, almost nothing in nature has been shown to shield fusion
level gammas better than lead.