There is a restrictive  assumption in your analysis that  limits
possibilities. The LENR process may be carried by a dozen different
elements, mostly transition metals, not only nickel. Nickel may have
advantages over the other active elements but the NiH reaction should be
looked upon as a topological reaction where the shape of the material is
what matters and not the material itself.

My motivation here.

I am building a case for LENR as the underpinning for dark matter and dark
energy. In intergalactic gas clouds, many elements are found. Unexpectedly,
a high percentage of intergalactic dust are transition metals, the expected
ash for a LENR reaction.  The cosmological LENR reaction in order to
support dark energy and a galaxy size dark matter soliton,  production
could not be restricted to only nickel.