By what train of careful experimentation was it shown that magnetism has a
huge effect on the fusion or fission cross sections in the kinds of
contexts we're looking at?

ICF via lasers want to get to 6*10^23 electrons per cm-3 to achieve Hot
fusion.
See:

https://news.slac.stanford.edu/announcement/siegfried-glenzer-exploring-physical-properties-matter-extreme-conditions-simes-seminar

For example, Glenzer and colleagues have recently compressed aluminum up to
a mass density of 7 g/cm3 (approaching three times solid density) with
a *free-electron
density of ne = 4.7 x 1023 cm-3* and a temperature of 35,000K.

Electron density is a key parameter for fusion. Cold Fusion needs to get to
that number too.