On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Why focus on the Coulomb field?  Focus on the intense magnetic fields that
> can polarize nuclei parallel and antiparallel and cause them to spin in
> harmony.  Transfer of mass via spin energy is possible, although it is not
> common in a plasma or free particle system most are familiar with.  Solid
> state lattices allow more options for interactions including spin coupling.

The Coulomb field is more intuitively accessible to me at this point, and
an ion core presents a huge surface of charge to impart energy to (in
addition to any nearby electrons).  I get the impression that spin coupling
is like trying to go fast on a ten-speed bike, but using only the lowest
gear.  No matter how fast you pedal the pedals, energy is still going to be
translated into motion of the bike only very slowly.  This might just be a
misimpression on my part.  As I learn more about nuclear spin, perhaps its
potential as a conduit will become apparent.

Gammas are not necessary for mass conversion to thermal kinetic energy.

I think we agree on this point.  What's needed is to transfer the energy of
the decay of a compound nucleus to the environment in a benign way
(assuming we have fusion, as I do).  Since we don't see gammas, I assume
that energy is imparted through some other mechanism.

Eric