  From: Bob Higgins
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:Is the SunCell a titanium burner?

  I thought it was important to say more explicitly why I believe the Mills
demo calorimetry may be flawed.  I hope the enclosed diagram will come through
to Vortex – I have seen others come through recently and I tried to make this a
small image file.  If it doesn’t come through, I apologize.  Since I was not
there to examine the calorimeter, I am describing what I believe was used - and
this is just reasonable speculation.

  ​

  If we had an ideal calorimeter, and some energy is input inside, Ein, one
would expect to measure a total heat flux of the calorimeter, Qmeas, equal to
Ein.  If you put in 5 joules of input energy, the total integrated heat
measured (Qmeas) should be 5 joules of heat.  In the ideal calorimeter, all
heat generated inside gets measured, 100%.

  Now, for Mills to measure his water/catalyst arc detonations, large
electrodes must be inserted through the calorimeter walls so that the
detonation occurs inside.  In general, the apparatus to provide the source
energy for the arc is outside of the calorimeter (physically large).  In this
simplified description, there are 2 ways for the heat to leave the calorimeter:
 1) through the calorimeter’s heat sensing mechanism (measures Qmeas), and 2)
through the arc conductors, call this heat Qcond.  Since there is a large
current flowing in the arc, it is nearly impossible to insert something in the
conductor so as to directly measure the heat flow going through the conductor.
So, what to do?  Well, Ein is usually measurable electrically.  To find Qcond,
then perform a reference (blind) experiment.  Don’t put anything inside the arc
gap, fire it with energy, Ein1, measure Qmeas1 and calculate

     Qcond1 = Ein1 – Qmeas1

  Now put in the water/catalyst in the arc gap and detonate it.  You think
Qcond should be the same (Qcond1) and you calculate the total energy output as

     Qtot2 = Qmeas2 + Qcond1

  and you go on to calculate the COP as

     COP = (Qmeas2 + Qcond1)/Ein   (presuming Ein is constant for now)

  So, where is the flaw in this?  Consider (for a mental experiment) that for
the blind you evacuated the calorimeter.  When the arc is fired, all of its
electrons will impact the positive electrode.  Most of the energy will be
deposited as heat directly in the electrode and will be conducted out as Qcond;
very little will show up in Qmeas.  In this case Qcond may be fairly close to
Ein.

  Now lets say you put in some micro-encapsulated metal (so that you don’t
short the electrodes), and you fire the arc.  Most of the electrons will impact
the metal in the gap and heat it to a quite high temperature.  There will be
some evaporation, and some material expelled (ejecta) that is very hot.  In
this case, more of Ein will be measured by the calorimeter as Qmeas, and Qcond
will be smaller than the vacuum case.

  Now, put in the water/catalyst and fire the arc.  As the demonstration
showed, the detonation is a lot louder and brighter.  This doesn’t necessarily
mean that the heat generation was any more, but it does mean that there was
more ejecta (including steam) and increased visible photon radiation.  All of
the ejecta (including steam) and the light carry energy away from the arc and
Qcond is less still.

  Call Qmeas-wc the heat measured by the calorimeter when the water/catalyst is
used and Qcond-blind the conductor heat calculated from the blind calibration
calculation.  When the COP is calculated as

     COP = (Qmeas-wc + Qcond-blind)/Ein

  it comes out higher than the real COP value because Qcond-blind is larger
than the true (and not measurable) Qcond-wc, by probably a large amount.
Intuition tells me that Qcond will be a fairly large part of the heat in all
tests, so an error in the Qcond used in the COP calculation will create a
similar, but slightly less error in the COP.

  Mills only demonstrated a COP of about 2.  Because of this kind of error, the
COP could easily have been closer to 1.  This is an extremely difficult
modified calorimeter to calibrate.  Perhaps when Mills makes the arc source
small enough to fit entirely in the calorimeter (except for some tiny capacitor
charging wires), it will be possible to get an accurate measurement.

  Bob Higgins