Cassandra received the power to foretell the future from the god Apollo.
Apparently, Apollo instructed the mortal woman and taught her about the art of
prophecy because he had an ulterior motive - the god wished to win her
affections. Cassandra accepted Apollo as a teacher, but not as a lover.
Naturally, the god was insulted by this refusal. So he punished Cassandra.
Apollo caused the gift that he gave Cassandra to be twisted, making everyone who
heard her true and accurate foretellings of future events believe that they were
instead hearing lies. In other words, the wondrous blessing bestowed upon a
mortal became instead a terrible curse.

She predicted the outcome of many disastrous events. And this, in the end, was
to be Cassandra's tragic fate.                by  birkevics
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=birkevics>  August 02, 2008

Mark