Jones,

>From what I have read, you are correct that some QMS RGA instruments can
read negative ions (such as potentially f/D-), but it must have a dual mode
ionizer front end. In normal mode the ionizer has fast electrons that will
not produce significant negative ions, and in fact the high speed electrons
will typically disassociate molecules. To measure negative ions, the front
end must be configurable for low speed electrons that will not cause impact
ionization and will allow electron attachment. So there is easy and
intentional discrimination between normal positive ion mode and optional
negative ion mode of the front end.  We don't know if Mizuno's RGA has the
negative ion capability, but it most certainly has positive ion mode as its
main (and perhaps only) mode.  What was reported was highly likely the
positive ion readout.  We should probably presume the positive ion mode and
also molecular fragmentation.

Thanks for stimulating me to take a closer look at QMS.

Bob Higgins