Yes, this faux transmutation does sound like a really wild speculation.  IF
you could get an inner electron into a DDL state, it would have to
fluoresce in x-ray like the transmuted element because, for example, the
detection of Cu in Rossi's ash was via XRF.  Further, how would you even go
about putting an inner electron in a DDL state?  Seems like you would have
to first fully ionize the atom - well, all electrons but one.  And we don't
even know how to put H into a DDL state with its completely exposed DDL
electron.  It appears to require sucking out a large energy without using
photons.

But, the speculation was interesting.

Bob Higgins