Lest we not forget ... A field was never a physical "thing".  "Fields" have
always been a mathematical artifice used to describe/visualize the action
at a distance supplied by charges - stationary and in motion.

According to Hotson, these actions at a distance are all transmitted by the
essentially mass-less epo sea - epos being polarizable.

Physics is applying mathematical models to the observed behaviors of the
real world around us.  Physics is not reality.  These physical models are
NEVER correct, but the best models reproduce a great deal of actual
behavior (but NEVER all behavior).  Physics LAWS are just rules of thumb
that have proved to be valid most of the time (perhaps all of the time in
our historical experience, but that does not make them inviolable).

Bob Higgins