Hi,
[snip]
>If we assume BLP's SunCell works as advertised, it would seem to me that
>they need to design something better for the ignition process than pouring
>particles over the rollers.  I don't see how that could ever be made
>reliable, but that might just be a limitation of my imagination.
>
>It seems to me that electrolysis is a necessary part of the process
>(although happening with a small amount of water).  It seems like an
>alternative process would be an electrolytic cell with electrodes made out
>of the correct material.  This would result in conversion to thermal
>energy, which would probably be less efficient than converting light to
>electricity if that's the goal.  But if heat is the goal then I think it
>should be considered--in particular if it would be more reliable.  I
>realize I am making a lot of assumptions (even that it works), but it would
>seem to be worth exploring.
>
>I ordered a spot welder recently, which should arrive soon, and I will
>attempt some experiments.  It won't have the same level of power that BLP's
>has, so it may not work.  In one video, Mills did note that in the
>experiment without the rollers that 3KW or 5J was enough to ignite the
>process.  This is an 8KVA model, so maybe something interesting can happen.
>
>Best regards,
>Jack
Note that 5 J implies only supplying 3 kW for 1.7 mS. So you will need either
some electronic means of rapidly switching the power, or a fast mechanical way.
Perhaps the rollers themselves can be made to do the switching - alternating
conducting and insulating strips, then rotate at the correct speed?

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk