From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, Sep 16, 2014 10:05 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:NY Times: "Sun and Wind Alter Global Landscape, Leaving
Utilities Behind"

a.ashfield <a.ashfi...@verizon.net> wrote:

I'd love to know if the decision to place the stand-by generators      in the
basement was a result of budget restraints or a conscious      engineering
decision.

I wouldn't know how that came about. But these reactors are lavishly funded and
they usually go way over budget so I doubt there were many budget restraints.

I have heard that the fatal flaw was to put the fuel tanks on the seaward side
of the buildings. The fuel tanks were enormous, but they were swept away by the
tsunami. They had enough generators and equipment to keep the catastrophe under
control until the second or third night as I recall, when the main generator
ran out of fuel. They did not notice for some time, and by the time they
realized it had stopped, the damage was done and things were spiraling out of
control.

It sounds unbelievably inept to run out of diesel fuel in the middle of the
night, but you have to realize these people were working under terrible
conditions, with life-threatening radiation, explosions and fires. I have seen
actual videos and also dramatizations of the accident on Japanese TV. I have
the highest respect for the people who responded to the accident and for the
ones who are now trying to contain it. These are brave, competent people, doing
their best.

After the accident, a memo surfaced saying, "we should worry about the
possibility of a large tsunami." In other words, someone foresaw the problem.
An expert interviewed on NHK talked about this. He said: "You will always find
a memo. We looked into everything; we thought about every possible scenario. If
you were to try to eliminate every threat in a project like this, the plant
would never be built." I sympathize with that point of view. Technology always
carries some risk. We cannot be paralyzed into inaction by fear. In this case,
it turned out the risk was much larger than anyone anticipated. (Anyone
including me -- not that I'm an expert.) That is tragic but it cannot be
helped, and I do not think we should go around looking for a scapegoat to blame
it on.