Hi David

I did a search for "good-bye-second-law-of-thermodynamics"

It came up in google with this
http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/2014/09/good-bye-second-law-of-thermodynamics.html

I clicked on the link in google and it took me to the page that I quote the
first few lines of:

"
Home <http://www.laserfocusworld.com/content/lfw/en/index.html>
Good-bye second law of thermodynamics?
Good-bye second law of thermodynamics?
09/02/2014
By John Wallace
<http://www.laserfocusworld.com/content/lfw/en/authors/john-wallace.html>
Senior Editor

I was quite happy last week to post a news item about a colorless
transparent luminescent solar concentrator developed at Michigan State
University
<http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/2014/08/solar-collector-is-transparent-colorless-doesn-t-block-the-view.html>
(East
Lansing, MI), as I have had a long-term fascination with luminescent solar
concentrators. So why am I so fascinated by such devices?

One reason is that at first glance they seem to violate the second law of
thermodynamics
<http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/print/volume-49/issue-06/features/chillers-and-coolers--breakthrough-of-optical-refrigeration--las.html>,
which says that the entropy of any isolated system never decreases. In the
field of optics, the second law sorta translates in a hand-waving way to
the fact that the étendue (solid angle multiplied by beam cross-section) of
a light beam can never decrease: for example, one can't focus a low-quality
laser beam to a spot as small as that that can be produced by a
high-quality laser beam (given the same lens used for both, with lens pupil
optimally filled)..."

Kind Regards walker