Hi,
[snip]
>Hi,
>
>17O & 18O are also potential neutron donors, interesting both because there is
>so much Oxygen, and the central charge on Oxygen is only 8. (The lower the
>central charge, the closer the nuclei can get, which strongly affects the
>chances of a tunneling reaction occurring.)

Note also that there wasn't sufficient Lithium in the reactor to account for the
neutrons required to convert the Nickel, however there was ample Oxygen present
in the form of the alumina tube in which the reaction took place. Each of the
fast particles produces by the reactions could easily have freed thousands of O
atoms from the walls of the tube. If Oxygen is 0.2% O18 (i.e. about 1 in 500
atoms is O18), then each O18 consumed could easily have freed enough from the
walls to supply follow up reactions with the Ni.

E.g.The following double neutron transfer reactions.

18O+58Ni => 60Ni + 16O + 8.200 MeV
18O+59Ni => 61Ni + 16O + 7.021 MeV
18O+60Ni => 62Ni + 16O + 6.230 MeV
18O+62Ni => 64Ni + 16O + 4.309 MeV <=== Since this doesn't happen, we can
probably conclude that double neutron transfer reactions are rare to non
existent.

Single neutron transfer reactions:-

18O+58Ni => 59Ni + 17O + 0.955 MeV
18O+59Ni => 60Ni + 17O + 3.344 MeV
18O+61Ni => 62Ni + 17O + 2.552 MeV

This series stops at 60Ni. (I.e. 61Ni is not formed). However the Li reaction
could get over that hurdle, as could

17O+60Ni => 61Ni + 16O + 3.677 MeV.

Unfortunately the reaction:-

17O + 62Ni => 63Ni + 16O + 2.695 MeV

is quite happy to occur, and throw a spanner in the works, but the scarcity of
O17 might make this reaction unlikely?

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk