I believe that Ni particles will not work once melted - just intuition,
because I don't buy the neutron stripping yet.  If we take a leap of faith
and say that the central reactor core alumina tube is coated with particles
sintered to its inside (like a catalytic converter for example), we don't
know anymore whether the active material is Ni.  The active material could
be a more refractory metal, for example, zirconium, perhaps processed with
an additional catalyst as the Ni was.  The only clue we have seems to be
the very high operating temperatures, suggesting that it is not Ni.

Any Ni that Rossi added in the beginning could have been a startup "mouse"
or just simple obfuscation.