On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:43 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

It would be a miracle to find that the temperature exactly matched what is
> expected according to the Stephan-Boltzman equation.

I get that the preconditions for the Stephan-Boltzman equation were not
met, technically, since the device is not a blackbody (e.g., painted with
black refractory coating) and that there is an error term that is being
raised to the fourth power.  My questions are:  what are the implications?
Would the Stephan-Boltzman equation provide a lower bound for the true
power, or an upper bound, or something else?  How far off would the
Stephan-Boltzman
equation be in practice?  I get the sense that it would be a minor error
term and that professionals in this field would not be too hesitant to use
the equation in a context such as the Lugano test.  I'm starting to wonder
whether the emissivity problem is primarily an academic one.

Eric