On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Alan Fletcher <a...@well.com> wrote:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2834452/data-center/
> lockheed-martins-cfr-a-hot-fusion-breakthrough-for-power-generation.html

It seems to me that a major weakness of the new Lockheed Martin skunkworks
reactor design is the fact that the superconducting magnets used to set up
a magnetic confinement field are situated within the plasma being fused.
The superconducting magnets will need to be at cryogenic temperatures.  The
metal toroids housing the magnets will be exposed to corrosion by the
plasma and will serve as a heat sink, reducing the temperature of the
plasma.

Perhaps I've missed an important detail?

Eric