On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Alan Fletcher <a...@well.com> wrote:

So maybe the hotcat wasn't running OUT of fuel at 32 days : it had
> completed the Ni isotope conversion (to a greater degree than Rossi
> expected), and was then running at peak efficiency?
>
> This could explain the improvement in efficiency over the first half, when
> the input power could be reduced.

This makes sense in part, as there is probably nothing particularly special
about nickel-7Li neutron stripping reactions.  In the case of deuterium,
neutron stripping is exothermic for the large majority of known isotopes.
I suspect something similar happens with 7Li, but for fewer isotopes.  So
when the nickel is exhausted through enrichment, other reactions would be
favored.

The part that I have less of a sense of is what would set of reactions
would kick in at the point of using up the nickel and why they might have
been hindered prior to that.

Eric