I started writing a long post about this, and deleted it because I don't want to wade too far into this flame war. I'd just like to point out that, ultimately, language design is a trade-off.

If you are using a runtime-typed language, you are gambling that the upfront time saved on coding will be greater than the possible increase in time spent debugging.

If you are using a statically-typed language, you are spending more time fighting with the compiler and/or writing out class hierarchies, but gambling that the extra upfront coding time will result in less time spent debugging.

I would say that as the size of a project grows, the amount of time typing in code increases linearly, but the amount of potential debugging increasing geometrically, as the number of interacting statements/functions/classes/modules increases. Thus, techniques that reduce debugging time are going to be proportionally more effective than techniques that reduce upfront design time.

That said, there's probably a crossing-over point, where projects below some size are better served with a dynamic type system, and projects above that size are better server with a static type system. The point could also be made that certain dynamically typed languages are more powerful (they can acomplish more per line of code) which raises the bar.

To some extent given the original discussion this is even a false dichotomy, because people often embed dynamic typing systems into statically typed languages (i.e. VOS metaobjects) and furthermore langauges like C# have an extensive reflection API which allows you to do things like invoke methods with a certain name, signature or attribute regardless of its actual class type.

So while you can do dynamic type checking in a mostly static language, typically you can't do static type checking in a dynamic langauge. In the end this seems less powerful to me.

- - Pete

(or maybe I just don't like Python's force indentation very much :-)