I went ahead and did it already, actually.  I needed the template functionality
in the core so
that I could specify VOS classes that are logically templates, such as
UInt8DynamicArrayProperty
(which is a property holding an array of bytes).  Without a template feature, I
would have to do
a lot of cut and paste to get DynamicStringArrayProperty,
DynamicVector3ArrayProperty, etc...

The current scheme is somewhat incomplete though, we will need listeners to be
able to properly
propagate changes in the base template to all the template instances.

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 02:14:00PM -0500, Reed Hedges wrote:
> Peter Amstutz wrote:
>
> > The idea is to set up "Template" vobjects which have TemplateParameters
> > which are stand-ins for links other objects and are substituted when you
> > actually create a template instance.  The "TemplateInstance" vobject
> > links to the template and some set of parameters, and will have an
> > "instantiate" method on it which produces a vobject structure with the
> > appropriate parameter substitution.
>

> This is definitely something we need.  It ought to be very
> straightforward to implement as a component type, using listeners.
>
> But let's not add any more tasks like this right now, let's get the VOS
> core working first (including listeners)
>
> Reed

[ Peter Amstutz ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]
[ VOS: Next Generation Internet Communication][ http://interreality.org ]
[ http://interreality.org/~tetron ][ pgpkey:  pgpkeys.mit.edu  18C21DF7 ]