Heh, I'm impressed, that's pretty painful and tricky, but you managed it.

An alternative just booting a rescue thumb drive (like most ISO images these days). Normally they have a "reinstall grub" as well as spawning a shell option. If you spawn a shell just run grub-install /dev/sda.

So all I had to do at that point was tell grub how to boot:

   set root=(hd0,msdos1)
   set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/grub
   insmod normal
   insmod linux
   linux (hd0,msdos1)/vmlinuz-3.13.0-51-generic
   initrd (hd0,msdos1)/initrd.img-3.13.0-51-generic
   boot

A bunch of kernel boot-up noise appeared, and I was prompted to enter
the passphrase to decrypt my root (/) directory, and after a moment,
my KDE login screen appeared!

I brought up a shell, and run "sudo grub-install /dev/sda"
(notice, not "/dev/sda1").

Rebooted, and here I am.  Whew!