It may or it may not.  The big impact in the beginning will be a different
model for the style (eg, if they use CSS as they do in SVG).  For story
telling the situation may be better.  We've spent a lot of time trying to
figure out how we should do branching, interactivity, etc. here for these
stories.  One problem has been the model where the world was
an embedded thingie inside a web page that had to communicate
with the browser which acted as an intermediary between the world
and the operating system then the web.   It could be that if the
3D, 2D and text objects are treated equally on the browser page,
things get better.

What if we get some things we need from the fallout

o  Standard event models for interactivity/behavior.  Right off
the bat things are better for onmousedown, onmouseover, etc.
The script model looks just like HTML, VisualZed, etc.
o  Same reuse of scripts as in HTML pages
o  Reusable styles
o  EASSSSSY integration of text
o  Same support for streaming audio as page has and possibly the
same synchonization model.

IOW, it is possible (keep fingers crossed) that we could get a
quick improvement in the tools and in the medium to long term
we get REAL broadcast formats.  Looking at the very quick
movement in broadcast devices (eg, the flat panel displays,
the increasing convergence of satellite and cable), knowing
people are starting to look at the idea of just buying a big
PC monitor, a DELL and putting that where the living room
TV is.  In that environment, for our interactive stories to work,
we need broadcast worthy protocols and formats.... NOW so
we can learn to compose for them.

We have been writing stories in terms of the world model.  Maybe an
integrated page
model is a step backward, or maybe it is an easier model to
work with.  We'll see.  Whatever we have learned from VRML97
should be useful just as the things we learned from 1.0 helped
us in 97.

Len

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h