SVG has a lot of support behind it beyond Adobe.  I mentioned
Adobe because I found that plug in.   My guess is that this will
replace VML (Vector Markup Language) in the MS catalog.  On the
XML list, SVG is being trumpeted as "the real killer app" and
the app to "revolutionize the web".   Seems we've heard all of
that before. :-)   Yet this is not coming from Adobe; these remarks
are coming from folks like Tim Bray, Dave Winer, Peter Murray-Rust
etc, who are stellars in the XML cosmos.   I don't think it is killer
but that is because I don't think "killer" makes sense anymore.
What we need are tools that fit together easily and cheaply for
building multimedia apps and this will definitely fit into the toolkit
for DHTML very smoothly.   So for those who need to do the
semi-complex apps with the DHTML and animation integrated
(eg, intelligent parts libraries a la Ford, Chrysler, etc), this is
a likely winner.

Opening it up and peering, it has a lot in common with VRML
where VRML uses primitives.   The scripting interface is easier
than what we will have with the wrapper tags in X3D but the
download is larger than what a Core X3D should be.   I'd hazard
a guess and say this will pick up a lot of the market that core
wanted (the ad apps) given the demos.   As animation junkies,
it will be good to be familiar with it since most of the concepts
are easy to learn if you have a background in VRML.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram