Hello fellow VTJPers

Sorry this is so off topic. I am working for Rural VT this winter and
we are trying to get the Farmer Protection Act passed, to hold
corporations liable if their is contamination from genetically modified
seeds. Please call your state reps in support of this bill. See below
for more details.

Thanks! Enjoy the beautiful snow.
S'ra

INFORMATION ABOUT THE FARMER PROTECTION ACT

The Vermont State Senate passed the Farmer Protection Act (S18) 26-1 in
spring 2005.  The bill does the following:

** Establishes strict liability, which states that manufacturers who
own the patents on genetically engineered seeds are liable for any
economic damages that occur in Vermont as a result of the use of the
seeds

** States that seed contracts in Vermont are subject only to Vermont
law and that disputes over seed contracts will be settled in Vermont

In early January 2006, the House Judiciary Committee will recommend
rewriting the entire bill through a strike-all amendment. This would
not only remove the strict liability, which protects farmers, but also
transform it into a consumer protection bill. The core issue is that
farmers, who never actually own the genetically engineered seeds, are
being forced to bear the full burden of liability for the consequences
of their use.

When the legislative session opens in the first week of January, a
state representative will reintroduce the strict liability language to
the bill with a floor amendment. This would ensure that manufacturers
of these seeds, such as Monsanto, are held liable for any economic
damage caused to farmers by contamination. Rural Vermont will only
support a Farmer Protection Act that contains strict liability.

Please call your representatives today and encourage them to support
the STRICT LIABILITY amendment to the Farmer Protection Act.

TAKE ACTION ON THE FARMER PROTECTION ACT!

HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO THIS WEEK to help us ramp up to the vote:

1. CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES and ask them: "Will you support strict
liability when the Farmer Protection Act comes to the House Floor in
January?" Strict liability means that the manufacturers of genetically
engineered seeds will be liable for any economic damages that occur
because of the use of those seeds in Vermont. THE FARMERS NEVER OWN THE
SEEDS -- the manufacturers always retain ownership of the patented
products, so they should bear the responsibility!
You can find out who your representatives are and their phone numbers here:
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/legdir/districts.cfm?Body=H

2. COME TO THE STATEHOUSE! We want people to come to the statehouse the
first week of January (Jan. 3-6, 8 am ? 4 pm) when the Farmer
Protection Act will be presented to the house. We need as many people
there as possible to ensure that the strict liability language is
reintroduced into the Farmer Protection Act. We want people to wear
red, so that the reps know everyone who is wearing red supports strict
liability. If you have any time on any of these days, come on by. We
also have housing available for people in Montpelier of needed. Just
call or email S?ra (324-5962, [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

http://us.click.yahoo.com/X6CDDD/lzNLAA/cUmLAA/MknplB/TM