Hi Ronni,

The thing is quicklook has no problem seeing all my .csv files which were
downloaded before "something' changed when I re-installed everything in
October.

So my Commsec .csv files downloaded previous to the problem appearing show
just fine in quicklook ie file type 1) in my original post:

- Get info shows "kind" as "text" and "open with" as "Microsoft Excel"
- Get info icon is an Excel icon

But since the re-install and my telling finder to open all .csv with Excel
(I'm not sure of the chicken & egg effect here) my Commsec .csv files
download differently - ie file type 2) in my original post:

- Get info shows "kind" as "Microsoft Excel Document" and "open with" as
"Microsoft Excel"
- Get info icon is a  blank page icon

So my problem is not getting quicklook to preview .csv files
(comma-separated values) - which after all are basically just (delimited)
text files - as long as the file "kind" is "text" both quicklook and the get
info preview pane can handle the .csv file just fine.

The problem is that now the .csv files are downloading with the file "kind"
as "Microsoft Excel Document"

Excel itself doesn't care and opens up both types (as a microsoft
application it possibly only works on the .csv extension?) and, in fact, is
the default application set to "open with" for both file types.

Quicklook (and the get info preview pane) however must expect a "Microsoft
Excel Document" to have a certain format - and presumably deal with it
accordingly (so they display real .xls excel files just fine) - so,
presumably, since the .csv files don't meet their expectations they just
show a generic "blank page" document preview.

In other words, the way I see it, the problem is not trying to work out how
to get quicklook to view .csv files - it does that just fine as long as it
knows it is a text file - the problem is how to get the .csv files to
download as "text" files rather than "Microsoft Excel Document" files.

For the files that are already downloaded, I expect that I can eventually
track down some terminal script to change the file "kind" - in the meantime
I have no problems opening the files so I can live without the quicklook
preview.

What I am really trying to find out here is how to get my original download
parameters back so that the .csv files just normally download as file "kind"
= "text" - which is how it was all working until last month!

The problem is that during the download process, I don't know how, when or
by what the file "kind" of the downloaded file is set so I don't really know
where to look for any preferences which have been changed to cause this.

Anybody got any ideas on this one?

Cheers

Neil
--