I recently reported that Snow Leopard had crippled my HP A3 colour printer and
that HP were not going to write upgraded printer drivers.

For the archives (and anyone else with older HP printers), I now have my
HP1220C working perfectly under Snow Leopard. I updated to 10.6.3 hoping it
would improve things, but it didn't make any difference.

So I downloaded and installed the 'foomatic' drivers published by the Linux
foundation. You need to install three separate packages (see below).

The printer now works very well and the colour quality is back to where it used
to be.

I got this from another list and include it here for others. Worth having a
look if you're having problems with the gutenprint drivers. The link is
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/hpijs

> I was disheartened to find that my HP 1220c as well as dozens, if not
> hundreds, of other printer models are no longer supported by Snow Leopard.
> But I stumbled across an open source line of printer drivers which seem to be
> a superior alternative to the Gutenprint drivers. They make dozens of
> unsupported printers OS X & SL compatible.
>
> OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs - The Linux Foundation
>
> The instructions here are a little vague, but it's really easy.
>
> 1. Install Ghostscript
> 2. Install Foomatic
> 3. Install hpijs.
> 4. System Preferences > Print & Fax > (select your printer or add a new one)
> > Options & Supplies > Driver
> 5. See if a new Foomatic printer driver is listed as an alternative to your
> model.
>
> The Foomatic drivers have options for print quality, grayscale, etc which
> Gutenprint is often missing. Included are printers from a variety of
> manufacturers, not just HP.
>
> Hope this helps someone!

Cheers
Mike

Mike Murray and Lesley Silvester
TimeTrackers
East Fremantle
Western Australia

Tel 08 9339 8078
Fax 08 9339 0519

British and Australian genealogical and historical research,
education, publishing and film-making

www.timetrackers.com.au