http://www.smh.com.au/world/blinded-iranian-seeks-eyeforeye-justice-20090305-8opd.html

Blinded Iranian seeks eye-for-eye justice
  a.. March 5, 2009 - 7:10AM

Blinded ... Ameneh Bahrami. Photo: AP

An Iranian woman living in Spain said she welcomed a Tehran court ruling that
awards her eye-for-an-eye justice against a suitor who blinded her with acid.

Ameneh Bahrami, 30, told Cadena SER radio, "I am not doing this out of revenge,
but rather so that the suffering I went through is not repeated."

Late last year an Iranian court ruled that the man - identified only as Majid -
who blinded Bahrami in 2004 after she spurned him, should also be blinded with
acid based on the Islamic law system of "qisas", or eye for an eye retribution,
according to Iranian newspaper reports from November.

But Bahrami, who moved to Spain after the attack to get medical treatment, said
on Wednesday that under Iranian law, she is entitled to blind him in only one
eye, unless she pays E20,000 ($A39,223), because in Iran women are not
considered equal to men.

"They have told us that my two eyes are equal to one of his because in my
country each man is worth two women. They are not the same," she told Cadena
SER.

Bahrami explained that she was now waiting for a letter from the court to go
back to Iran for the punishment to be carried out.

Cadenda SER said that after undergoing treatment in Barcelona, Bahrami
recovered 40 per cent vision in one eye but since then doctors have not been
able to prevent her from going totally blind. She also suffered horrific burns
to her face, scalp and body.

She says she now survives on 400 euro ($785) a month in aid from the Spanish
government.

The woman said Majid would be blinded by having several drops of acid put into
one eye, whereas she had acid splashed all over her face and other parts of her
body.

It was not immediately possible to make contact with Bahrami on Wednesday. No
one at the Iranian Embassy was available for comment either.

AP