Quran Compatible With American Values, Filmmaker Says

Trevor Williams

Atlanta - 03.06.09

http://www.globalatlanta.com/articlevid/17201/267/

 Mr. Masudi is optimistic that 9/11's scars are largely in the past, and
that the perceived conflict between Islam and the West will shrink if "as
long as we are sincere in our efforts" to foster understanding. Video Links:
Indian Filmmaker Discusses New Quran Movie  In Global Economy, Terrorism
Affects All  'Quran: Contemporary Connections' Trailer Despite a perceived
cultural clash between the West and Islam, many of the values upheld by
Americans are also enshrined in the religion's holy book, the Quran, an
Indian filmmaker said in Atlanta.

"The Quran is already there, it's being played out every day, day in and day
out in American life," said Faruq Masudi, who is promoting his newest movie
in Georgia. "To say that American lifestyle or society is at loggerheads
with the concept of the Quran is very, very wrong."

Mr. Masudi, who hails from northern India, has produced soap operas and
other TV shows in multiple languages for distribution in India, Pakistan and
around the Middle East.

He had already produced two feature films in Hindi and Arabic, but his
latest project was filmed entirely in the U.S., in English, with a cast of
American scholars.

Titled "Quran: Contemporary Connections," the film blends genres but mostly
resembles a documentary, which Mr. Masudi hopes will correct much of what he
calls "misinformation" about Islam in America.

"I felt, like most of the Muslims, that we are not being perceived in the
way we should be," Mr. Masudi said.

In his view, it's partly the responsibility of Muslims to remedy that
problem.  Aside from being a business venture, the film is Mr. Masudi's
effort to increase awareness about his faith and build intercultural
understanding that leads to peace.

Although he maintains good relationships with non-Muslim colleagues and
acquaintances, Mr. Masudi decided to make the film when he noticed that many
people still don't understand how Islam - a 1,400-year-old faith - fits into
a modern context.

As the "fountainhead" for all Islamic belief, the Quran is the perfect place
to begin showing how Islam is compatible with Western values, Mr. Masudi
said.

For instance, the role of women in Muslim countries often comes under fire
from human rights activists in America, but Mr. Masudi said his film shows
that the Quran actually grants women equality in wealth, social status,
religion and marital contracts.

"If you ask me, there are more rights than men, contrary to what many people
think," Mr. Masudi said.

He allows that some countries acting under Islam's banner deprive women of
their rights, but said "they are not acting in good belief.

"The fault is with those people, not with the Quran," he said.

In fact, the U.S. does a better job at enacting some Quranic precepts than
many supposedly Muslim countries do, he said.

He cited the government's Social Security program and efforts to help the
poor and destitute.  Using urban settings as the film's backdrop, the film
shows how programs like these illustrate that some Quranic principles are at
work.

"When you see those images, those American images in my film, you really
will wonder, . 'Where is the clash, where is the difference?'" Mr. Masudi
said in a filmed interview with GlobalAtlanta.

The media shoulders some of the blame for allowing stereotypes to take root.
In the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Americans became obsessed
with the hunt for one man - Osama bin Laden - and hasn't been able to see
the millions of Muslims around them who are contributing to their
communities, he said.

As far as news is concerned, "Being good is no good, you know? Being bad is
good because bad sells," he added.

"One Osama bin Laden sells all across the world, but there are millions of
non-Osama bin Ladens who are doing absolutely wonderful work not only for
Muslims but for non-Muslims as well."

The film tackles the Islamic views of war and jihad, sex, polygamy and other
issues that have become controversial and sensationalized.

Mr. Masudi hopes to find a distributor for his film in the U.S.

For more information on the film, watch the trailer above or go to
www.quranconnections.com.