Chuck,  I think you may have misunderstood the conversation.
Let me assure you that unittests work and pass.
It was I who made a mistake of not reading release notes where Bret stated
that we should run unittests from svn.

Please take a peek at SVN. http://svn.openqa.org/svn/watir/trunk/
you can see Watir, watir-common and firewatir and if you check out the
source you can run all unit tests (see As folders were moved, new ones
created all unit tests are run for the whole Watir project. In TDD fashion
no refactoring can be done in confidence without unittests.).

Please see Bret's comment about being halfway to the point of merging watir
and firewatir testsuite.
The next step is to construct a mechanism for unittests to run after the
source is turned into gems.

marekj

--
marekj