I use appscript to quit Firefox like this:

in browserfactory.rb
---
require 'firewatir'
require 'appscript'

class BrowserFactory
  def get_new_browser
    # close Firefox if it's running
    if Appscript.app('System Events').processes['Firefox'].exists()
      Appscript.app('Firefox').quit
    end

    FireWatir::Firefox.new(:profile => 'firewatir')
  end

  def quit_browser
    Appscript.app('Firefox').quit

in some_cucumber_steps.rb, which requires browserfactory (implicitly,
thanks to cucumber)
---
Before do
  @browser_factory = BrowserFactory.new
  @b = @browser_factory.get_new_browser
end

After do
  @browser_factory.quit_browser

It would be nice if the APIs matched for the different flavors of
Watir, but for my current app, I'm only testing with FF on Mac, so
this works for me.

Richard

--
Richard Lawrence