I'm sure there's a way for Watir to do this just like FireWatir. It just
hasn't been done yet, as far as i am aware.

Angrez is the author of both Watir's xpath support as well as FireWatir,
so that is probably why xpath works better with FireWatir than WatirIE.

Angrez, do you have anything to add here?

Bret