I ran into this issue and have been able to resolve what was causing
this on Windows XP.  This may not be what's causing it for other folks
but hopefully it will point them in the right direction.

We have an TeamCity server that will execute our tests using Rake on
the build agents running Windows XP.  When my scripts that were
dealing with popups ran on the agents they failed every time with the
same issue described in this thread.

So what I did was take the simple Google sample and run it in a
Command Prompt on the agent directly and it worked fine.  I used the
Command Prompt window and executed my full test case and it ran fine.
I shut down the TeamCity build agent service, and ran their agent
batch files directly (not the service).  I kicked the build off again
and it ran fine this time.

The problem seemed to be related to the Ruby process executing under
the SYSTEM user account.  I stopped running them through the service
and instead as normal batch files in the Startup and they're working
fine now.  It seems like there is an issue related to the
@page_container.eval_in_spawned_process when running under this type
of security setup.  Make sure whatever process is launching Ruby is
running as a normal user account and see if that resolves the problem.

Hope this helps.