Hello,

watir-rspec isn't needed per se, which means that you can use just watir
itself. As stated in watir-rspec readme
<https://github.com/watir/watir-rspec/blob/master/README.md>, it will make
it slightly easier to manage browser opening/closing, adds few helpful
matchers and creates nice html reports with links to files/screenshots
created during tests. If you do not need any of these then watir-rspec is
not needed.

However, if you're using Rails, then I suggest using watir-rails
<https://github.com/watir/watir-rails> since it helps you to create running
server etc. like you're probably used to with Capybara.

Best Regards,
Jarmo