Changing from require 'watir-webdriver' to require 'watir' is not really a
change. Because earlier watir was a meta gem, If you require 'watir' and if
you just pass a parameter of chrome or firefox it automatically trigger the
webdriver rather than watir-classic, the real change you have done here is,
require 'watir' directly allow this line 'b=Watir::Browser.new' to trigger
chrome browser.

To your second paragraph, I have read about that change in watir.github.io
but I haven't implemented yet. And also my whole project lies in
when_present whenever I need a return value 'self', If there is not, then
wait_until_present.