On 06/05/11 10:18, Bill Spitzak wrote:
I believe client-side decorations are an absolute must.

The amount of code necessary for an application to use an async protocol
to describe how the window border should appear is greatly larger than
that needed to just draw and handle events in the window border itself.
In FLTK I would estimate the ICCCM code for the window object is about 5
times larger than the code for an otherwise similar MDI-like frame where
FLTK draws everything. Handling resize and other events cleanly is a
real mess, too, due to the async nature of them.

Also such designs lock the user interface ideas into whatever existed at
that time, an excellent example is Gimp's being forced to give up any
attempt to make multiple windows because of window managers failing to
implement the many controls it would need.

Any program could manage the internals of their own "desktop" window,
acting like a sub window manager for other windows belonging to that
program.

The program would need to draw its own maximize/minimize/close buttons.