On 15/09/11 04:33, Michal Suchanek wrote:
On 14 September 2011 20:26, Bill Spitzak<spit...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I think the idea is that what you are calling the "window manager" is in
fact a library running in the client process and memory space. It would
probably be part of the toolkit.

Which is utterly wrong.

1) you can't deal with clients malfunctioning

2) now every toolkit would not only look differently but also behave
differently, possibly to the point that when running applications
using multiple different toolkits your desktop breaks due to WM
incompatibility

3) this is not really toolkit specific and should not have to be
reimplemented in every toolkit

If implementing something in the toolkit makes things easier, then i don't see why that shouldn't be done. All that's needed for consistancy between toolkits is a standard to follow. I wouldn't want policy imposed on my toolkit by an external server i don't like.

IIRC, the X icccm defines properties for window groups, and it is up to the application to set those properties correctly and that the WM does the right thing. If they don't do the right thing or are "malfunctioning", then just fix them or create an alternative.