On 11.02.2013 11:06, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> I want to make sure again, that when we talk about shells in Wayland,
> we usually talk about public shell interfaces in the protocol. Therefore
> all of Linux desktop, regardless of DE or its components (KDE, Gnome,
> gnome-shell, kwin, ...) are under the one and same shell for desktops.
> This is about the generic shell interfaces towards all applications, of
> course, that can somehow make sense on any DE.

Not exactly. Android, Ubuntu and KDE publicly aim to work on all form
factors. How will a desktop only wl_shell, as you outlined, serve those
projects concepts?

To illustrate a bit: attaching a monitor or TV, keyboard and mouse to a
phone is all what is needed for a desktop. That is long on the software
agenda. The difference for phone, TV, desktop computers and so on is
fading away quickly. These devices will more and more run on similar
computer hardware and their CPU/GPU fits already in a USB stick.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe