Hey Folks,

I got an e-mail today from Opie Cates granddaughter Liza Jane Hayes-Brown and I thought you might like to read it. I think she's referencing the Mayberry FAQ (http://www.tagsrwc.com/faq/index.php?p=default&cat=2#a14)

I was reading about my grandpa, Opie Cates, online and came across your website A lady asked a question about where the name Opie came from and was is short for anything. I can answer both questions. First Opie came from Opie Cates the band leader, you are correct. Second, the name was not short for anything. His full name was Opie Taft Cates. I hope this helps. Please contact us if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Liza Jane Hayes-Brown