On Aug 9, 2010, at 8:21 PM, Timothy Hatcher wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:52 PM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
>
>> I am very, very tempted to just get rid of them. As Ojan indicated,
>> the use cases for DOM Mutation events are extremely limited and to me,
>> most of them feel like we should be solving them differently anyway.
>>
>> However, with the introduction of extensions into Chromium and Safari,
>> DOM Mutation events experience a sort of renaissance, being used to
>> sense the DOM changes to re-apply modifications (rewrite URLs, text,
>> etc.).
>>
>> So I think we will upset a bunch of extensions developers if we just
>> go cold turkey, which is probably not the right thing -- regardless of
>> whether techniques they employ are sound or not.
>>
>> With this in mind, I think we should do #1 and #3, then #2 after some
>> time and loud over-communication (like Inspector warnings, blog posts,
>> billboards on Hwy 101 etc.).
>

> Adding input/beforeinput events (#3) wont solve the need of most extension
> developers that use mutation events today (the examples you cite). So that
> makes it hard to remove them, especially over time, no matter how much
> warning you give.

Would it satisfy extension use cases if DOM mutation events got batched and
dispatched asynchronously as the generic DOMSubtreeModified?[1] Do extensions
need detailed change notification, or is a general "something changed"
notification good enough?

I think reducing mutation event support down to just DOMSubtreeModified, and
firing it only at the very end of operations that should be atomic, would
greatly reduce the risk of mutation-event-induced crashing, but would probably
still serve the key use cases.

For performance reasons, it would be even better to have a type of notification
that doesn't have to allocate an event object, as that is a large part of the
performance hit from mutation events. I gather that is what the fancier new
mutation events proposal does.

Regards,
Maciej

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/#event-type-DOMSubtreeModified