On Feb 11, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Benjamin Poulain wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Kevin Ollivier <kev...@theolliviers.com>
> wrote:
> I know you're speaking more in general here, but just to be clear, over the
> past 6 months, the data hit that WebKit engineers have taken on account of
> the wx port is close to 0 bytes. The only time svn up or git fetch has pulled
> anything related to wx is when other developers attempted to update the wx
> port based on changes made to common code. As things stand, I'd not only be
> okay with, but actually prefer, that no other port maintainers do anything to
> try and fix the wx build. This way the port is not causing anyone else a
> burden except occasionally when I do land some fixes. As I said in my reply
> to Brent, I think a "no build bot / no shared maintenance" project rule is
> not only reasonable, as a practical matter it is required.
>
> I'd argue that others contributors having to know to ignore Wx port's code is
> the most significant cost. How is a new contributor supposed to know to
> ignore Wx port code?
>
> It looks like everyone agree wx would be better maintained outside webkit.org.
>
> Kevin just need to find a technical solution to the problem of maintaining
> the history.
>
> I will make a patch removing wxWidgets from the tree.
> Kevin, can you communicate when you are ready for the transition? I'd like to
> do that this week if that is okay with you.

To be honest, I think I know more about the wx port, and would probably be
better able to cleanly remove it from the tree, than you would. As I've said
from the start, I'll remove it if that's what people want, but I do think the
severity of this problem is being exaggerated, and going from posing the
question of project status to giving a one week eviction notice in less than 24
hours seems a bit rash to say the least. I wish I could get paid good money to
spend my time doing things like creating patches to remove inactive files from
source trees. :) As it stands, though, this wasn't exactly on my TODO list for
this week as of, say, this morning, and I do have plenty on it right now. I'm
already even regretting how much time I've put into this discussion.

To think, it was wx and GTK that started the whole WebKit porting experiment in
the first place, thanks to the gracious help of the WebKit community, and
particularly Eric, and now I feel like the project can't push me out the door
fast enough. ;-)

Please be patient, I will take care of it, but I doubt I will manage it this
week.

Regards,

Kevin