WEBMGRS Digest for Monday, December 13, 2010.

1. Google sites?

Subject: Google sites?
From: Nancy Shoemaker <shoema...@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:20:23 -0500

I've just started playing with Google sites (because I've got a
meeting tomorrow with the folks maintaining a branch site that is in
serious need of a WordPress upgrade).  [AAUWNC.org is running on
Dreamhost.com which makes it easy to set up Google sites for no
additional cost.]

I'm not sure WordPress.com is going to work for them, and I was
checking out Google sites.

It seems to have a number of helpful features:

- widget to pull in state/national RSS feeds
- an announcement page style that allows the site to have its own RSS feed
- a lists page style for table-type data (lists of officers)
- a filing cabinet page style for documents that are uploaded to the site
- the web page style that allows access to the HTML (but doesn't
allow scripting -- done through the widgets)
- drag and drop interface to rearrange pages in a hierarchy

There also seems to be a way to save a site as a template, so if one
branch site got set up in a reasonable way it might be saved for others to use.

Themes are limited of course (and I haven't looked at accessibility
at all), but keeping things simple has its advantages.

Does anyone have any experience with this recently? Opinions pro or con?

-Nancy
PS: Paula Maggio's materials to train AAUW OH sites on WordPress.com
are available at
http://wiki.bbvx.org/index.php?title=Tech_ToolKit#Training_Sessions
PPS: Does anyone have experience with SiteWise that they'd like to share?

---

END OF DIGEST

---
You are currently subscribed to webmgrs as: arch...@mail-archive.com