Subject: Web manager group (was Re: Web Managers at Convention)
From: Ginny <spri...@mind.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:21:42 -0700

Hollie,

        I feel the same way.  I've been the web manager of our group for 7
or 8 years, with no-one willing to learn and take over.  We're using
homestead.com which hosts our site and provides software that really
reduces web building to 'cut and paste' like in Word.  People are
still afraid to try!

        I don't know how to do anything else to build a website, and I'm not
very familiar with the wikis and facebook yet.  I wish there was a way
to learn more about those.

        I belong to another group that does monthly meetings but also has a
Yahoo group for emails, and most of our communication and planning is
done that way.  I tried to get people in our branch to sign up for a
group but most of them said no!  So each officer, project chair, and
IG coordinator has to keep up an email distribution list.  Any idea
how to get the idea of email groups across to people who use email
all the time??

        Ginny Dugan

        Ashland, OR AAUW branch web master
 On Fri 05/27/11 10:07 AM , "Hollie Bagley" holliebag...@gmail.com
sent:
  Hi Nancy,
  i have been waiting to see another reply to your email before I
chimed in, so thank you Sally.  So sorry you will not be at
Convention.  I will be there and plan to be at the SIG meeting on
Thursday.
  A comment on Sally's concerns.  I used to get discouraged knowing
that many of our members do not take advantage of the national and
state websites, but I always keep in mind that our members are not
the only reason for their existence--potential members, educating the
general population, informing our guest speakers about our
organization and a myriad of other valid reasons are what keeps me
going.  And, at every opportunity, I turn a question in a "teachable
moment" to not only supply the member's answer with a direct link,
but also to show them the step by step process involved so that next
time they can find the information for themselves.
  As for Nancy's questions as to becoming an official entity, it
sounds like the time has come.  As for groups, I have no idea where I
would belong.  I still post using MS Front Page 2003 and have no idea
as to how to convert to anything else.  In MA we have been searching
for someone to come forward to become web manager, but so far I am
the glue holding things together.  I always feel a little lost in
this group since I am not a techie and anything I know is self-taught
out of necessity, not desire.  I would like to know if there are any
other neophytes in the group and perhaps we should set up a
one-on-one mentoring program so that we "dummies" (and I use the term
as in the popular book series, not in any derogatory way) would feel
comfortable asking questions.  I always feel I do not know enough to
ask.  I have to say that when I have asked a question, it was always
answered graciously by someone in this group or someone from the
Social Media Task Force.  I think all of this was a very long winded
way of asking, "How do I find a replacement?"
  And, Nancy, I would like to find out more about using WordPress.
Is it free?  I know that you have extolled its virtues for years, but
I guess you should keep right on going and someday I might catch on.
  Thank you for everything you have done for this group and more.  I
look forward to seeing you in Washington.
  Hollie Hollie Bagley AAUW-MA Web Manager www.aauw-ma.org [1]