WEBMGRS Digest for Thursday, June 02, 2011.

1. Re: Web Managers at Convention
2. RE: Web Managers at Convention

Subject: Re: Web Managers at Convention
From: Ann MacKay <ann.mac...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:42:13 -0400

I have been waiting a few days before I answered Nancy's request. It has
been very helpful to see what others are saying. I have added my comments in
the body of the original note.

Ann MacKay

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Nancy Shoemaker <shoema...@acm.org> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I hope you've noticed that there's a Webmanagers Special Interest Group
> scheduled for 4:30-5:30 on Thursday, June 16 at Convention. This will be the
> 7th convention where the subscribers to this list have had a chance to meet
> face to face.
>
> So who's going to be there?

> I will not be attending this year. Enjoy Washington, D.C. My last job was
> just near the Portrait Galley. Enjoy the tour if you go. I had many lunches
> in their cafe.
>
>  My topics:
>
> - Is it time to look at our becoming an official "entity" of AAUW? As far
> as I know, no such entity has been granted recognition, but they are
> described in the current AAUW bylaws and policies. I was part of the "new
> structure" discussions that led up to the new 2009 bylaws, and each time
> this idea of "communities that aren't 'branches'" came up, I thought of
> webmanagers as an example.  This might help with the problem of new
> webmanagers having a hard time finding that this support network actually
> exists.

I like the idea of being an official entity. I think it will show that AAUW
is making an effort to attract younger members. I think that we need to
think more creatively about how people organize themselves. I know folks
love their branch members, but I don't think they are the answer for the
future. I even get bored with the business part.

> - Should we look at creating subgroups of this list (e.g. WordPress,
> SiteWise -- maybe on Facebook?) to support those who are running sites on
> similar platforms.

It would be nice to have some way to connect with others who are using the
same platform. I am a Wordpress person mainly because I am not a coder. I
find it easy enough to use. I would like to talk with the Site Wise folks
just to see how that is working. I think Facebook is good for some stuff but
I wonder if this type of email list is better. I don't know about this
group, but I find many people not using Facebook for a variety of reasons.

> Even if you're not going to be able to make it to Convention, do chime in
> with your comments on the future of this list and its community of
> subscribers.  Historically we have provided notes after the SIG meeting to
> document the discussions.
> I look forward to any notes from the SIG meeting.

Possible Agenda Items:
- Role of new communications director and social media manager in
relationship to web managers

I would like to hear about the role of the new Communications Director,
Cynthia Miller and how she will connect with web managers and how Alan
Callander as the social media manager fits into the equation.

-Packaged content for websites.
I wish that AAUW would offer content that does not have to be rewritten for
website posting. Their announcements tend to be too wordy and formal. I
usually have to rewrite the content.

-Anyone posting on the AAUW membership showcase?

Finally, to respond to the comment about questions. As someone who started
learning about websites a few years ago, I found this group very helpful. I
am always happy to help others with Wordpress. I am not an expert however,
just another life long learner.

Facetime: annmac...@me.com
Skype: MacMacGa
GTalk: ann.mac...@gmail.com

From: Nancy Shoemaker <shoema...@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 07:07:03 -0400

Thanks to Diane and Kathy for updating the Brevard Website.

And special thanks to Paula Maggio of AAUW Ohio for her leadership in
getting branches onto WordPress:

http://aauwoh.org/aauwoh/member-center/communications/web-sites/how-to-set-up-a-free-website-for-your-branch/

---

END OF DIGEST