Subject: Re: Fonts and PDF
From: Tracey Clark <tterm...@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:04:35 -0700

If the fonts themselves are not imbedded in the document, and usually they
aren't, the device that is displaying/printing the document must have them. It
sounds to me like you may be missing some fonts that are being called out in
the latest newsletter.

Tracey Clark
tterm...@sbcglobal.net

Sent from my iPhone

From: Ann MacKay <ann.mac...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:45:43 -0400

I think the problem is with fonts that are not embedded. Also MSIE older
earlier than Version 7 have problems with font substitution.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7211788_display-not-embedded-pdf-files.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_8419380_repair-missing-fonts-adobe-pdf.html

Ann MacKay

From: Nancy Finston <nfins...@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:17:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kay,

I suggest saving it as a .pdf if you can….. A .pdf file is an image, just
like a
photograph, so fonts won't change.

Nancy

________________________________
I was always told that a       PDF file preserved the formatting of the
original
document,       including the fonts, etc.

I have just discovered that a PDF file of our most recent state
newsletter
does NOT display the correct fonts when opened in       MSIE.   It looks just
fine in Firefox and Chrome.  Earlier       newsletters also look ok in MSIE.

The problem is not just online.  Our printer noticed some weird       fonts
before he printed the last issue.  We were able to correct       it before it
went to press, but still don't understand why a PDF       file (which is
supposed to keep the formatting) would do this?

Kay Koehler
Webmaster, AAUW of Virginia

You are currently subscribed to webmgrs as: nfins...@sbcglobal.net.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://listsrv.aauw.org/u?id=359887.3e29901d0754cad4cb6d47ae1cbe0015&n=T&l=webmgrs&o=57920

or send a blank email to
leave-57920-359887.3e29901d0754cad4cb6d47ae1cbe0...@listsrv.aauw.org

From: joyka...@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:49:42 -0400 (EDT)

Are you choosing a universal font (like Arial) when you compose? Sometimes
simple is best.

In a message dated 10/19/2011 3:18:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
I was always told that a PDF file  preserved the formatting of the original
document, including the fonts, etc.

I have just discovered that a PDF file of our most recent state  newsletter
does NOT display the correct fonts when opened in MSIE.    It looks just
fine in Firefox and Chrome.  Earlier newsletters also look  ok in MSIE.

The problem is not just online.  Our printer  noticed some weird fonts
before he printed the last issue.  We were able  to correct it before it went
press, but still don't understand why a PDF  file (which is supposed to
keep the formatting) would do this?

Kay Koehler
Webmaster, AAUW of Virginia

You are currently subscribed to webmgrs as:  _Joyka234@aol.com_