I found a work around, although I'm not sure if this is the right way
to do it.

I have a session init like this:
session = web.session.Session(app, web.session.DiskStore('sessions'),
initializer = {'test': 'woot'})

I created a processor via web.loadhook
def session_hook():
   web.ctx.session = session

app.add_processor(web.loadhook(session_hook))

this gave me access to the session via web.ctx.session over all of my
sub apps

Thoughts?
JGA