Hi Jonathan, *,

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Jonathan Aquilina
<eagles051...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Is there an offsite server based outside germany or anywhere else in the
> world that hosts a backup of the website in case main server needs to go
> down for maintenance it falls over to the backup server?

Offsite? No. Or depends on how you define it. We got backups and can
set up a replacement rather quickly when the current server goes AWOL,
however all those machines are at the same hosting company, so when
that hosting company exhibits a problem, we're cut for that time.
(pootle-server would be at different location, but we couldn't access
our backups to set up a replacement)

We're currently in the process of defining an automatic fallover.

So again in clear words:
* We have backups, and have servers that can act as a stand in.
* Currently setting up those replacements would be a manual process
(copying from the backups to a replacement machine, and adjusting DNS
entries)
* We are not prepared for the hosting-company to have general network
failures (but they surely will be very fast to solve those anyway)
* Making an automatic fallback is already in the works.

from your other post:
> The website is crucial that it doesnt go down, especially if upgrades to the
> server the site
> is currently hosted on is needed

Oh, the machine has undergone several updates already that demanded a
reboot, but downtimes caued by a reboot are so short, it's not worth
taking action...

> what would the LO/ TDF in general do if the site went
> down?

choose one of the remaining servers as replacement, play in a current
backup on that server, change DNS entry.

ciao
Christian