Just a follow up on this topic:

The compilation worked just fine following Gary's instructions with a
couple of additional steps to conform to SME 7 standards as suggested
by mcairn of the SME documentation team.

The test of Webware worked fine; all the examples worked "out of the
box", proving Christoph's assurance the mod_webkit.so would work under
apache 2.0 is spot on.

FYI, next on my list of items to compete is the boot/shutdown script
for init.d, and Webware is ready for my application code.

Many thanks to all,

  - Mark Phillips