Hi,

Patrick Aljord wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Dave Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  I find it a little disheartening that what was initially announced as a
>>  competition to choose a new name has now been announced as a unilateral
>>  decision... at the very least, I would have liked to see a shortlist of
>>  4 or 5 candidates registered and thrown out to the community for
>>  voting/comments.
>
> As Vadim explained, this is technically not possible. I don't know if
> you've ever tried to buy a domain name, but people just try to
> speculate and buy everything in the dictionary or not. Doing a public
> contest would be impossible cause some people would simply buy the
> winner and try to sell it to the community later.

I have about a dozen domain names mostly lying idle. Some will be used
in the future.

You can buy a domain name for a year for under $10. Let's say that after
doing the first level of filtering, you whittle things down to 5 names
whose domain names in .com and .org are available - register 2*5 domain
names for $100, and publish the short list. If all else fails, sell the
other 8 :)

It's a little self-important to imagine domain name hoarders following
our little mailing list by the way :)

There are also projects who use names derived from the project name -
think of sane-project.org, spreadfirefox.com & getfirefox.com (not sure
why MoFo didn't buy the .orgs associated with those, though...),
mono-project.com, etc. While having the right domain name is important,
it's not the end of the world to have a related domain name (like say
pidgin.im) as long as it's distinctive & memorable.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary