Thank you Joel Arumadri and Robert Ocaatre for your insights. I think you have
provided the forum an invaluable insight into the Barifa Land issue.  From
something Robert mentioned about some Presidential Advisor who has/had some
contentions with the officials in Arua town or District, there seems to be
something twisted in the whole decision process.

In my view the decision to think of degazetting a natural buffer that protects
the town and it's inhabitants (as Arumadri explained in his piece) from the
vagaries of the environment does not reflect a development process that is in
the interest of developing the town and its inhabitants. It makes me think that
those decision makers have their priorities of providing service in the the
wrong order, and I think some money manipulation must have exchanged hands to
arrive at such a decision.  Providing quality and sufficient basic amenities to
the inhabitants of the Arua should the first priority of developing the
town/district/region.

There are other places like the Airport which if developed can have a
tremendous economic value to the area. The priority should first be to improve
or provide quality and sufficient services. It is such amenities that attract
investments, which i believe the area so greatly needs to improve the biting
economic hardships the people are facing.  It is ridiculous to think of
affluent community when basic services are either very poor or not available
for even the basic way of life.

So I think instead of wasting time to evaluate the degazetting process, the
whole idea should be thrown out and those people should rather spend time on
finding ways to provide quality services which can attract investments in the
area. The recent power problems in Arua with WENRECO, the poor performances in
schools, lack of quality water supply and sewarage systems, poor road networks,
etc  should probably be things to worry and think of more than worrying about
the process of degazetting Barifa Forest land.

Thanks

Vasco Oguzua