We have a couple of web servers which default to requiring a username and no
password (or a blank password). As long as I specify an --http-user &
--http-passwd then wget works, but if I only specify a username and no password
then wget simply ignores the username. I believe this is a bug. I believe the
correct behaviour would be for the --http-passwd option to default to blank if
it is not specified but --http-username is specificed. See the two examples
below:

Here wget works if username is specified together with a blank password:
[root@vectra wget-1.8.2]# wget -S -v --http-user=admin --http-passwd=
http://server/
--16:57:55--  http://server/
           => `index.html'
Connecting to server:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
 1 HTTP/1.0 200 Document follows
 2 Server: 3Com/v1.0
 3 Expires: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 12:00:00 GMT
 4 Pragma: no-cache
 5 Cache-control: no-cache
    [ <=>

 80            78.12K/s
16:57:55 (78.12 KB/s) - `index.html' saved [80]

Here it fails if I specifiy a username and no password because wget doesn't try
to authenticate at all:
[root@vectra wget-1.8.2]# wget -S -v --http-user=admin http://server/
--16:58:10--  http://server/
           => `index.html.1'
Connecting to server:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
 1 HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized
 2 Server: 3Com/v1.0
 3 Content-length: 89
 4 WWW-Authenticate:Basic realm="device"
 5 Content-type: text/html
Authorization failed.

Please copy me on any replies since I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks,
     Jon