On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  The Wgiki now holds quite a few ideas regarding the proposed session
>  database:
>
>  http://wget.addictivecode.org/FeatureSpecifications/MetaDataBase
>
>  Please check it out, offer suggestions, make improvements, etc. This is
>  one of the features that went on the Google SoC ideas list.

I'd like to suggest that, maybe

- The session database can be used to save a list of links to be
downloaded, like the other graphical download manager have. Or even a
scheduled download.

The scenario would be something like

wget --add-link http://something
wget --add-link http://anotherthing
wget --add-link http://something --schedule 23.30
wget <- read from the database of unprocessed downloads and download them
# while the wget is still running
# add another link
wget --add-link http://more-link-added

- Also how about the performance of the database? I do not think that
a human readable format will give a good performance. Creating a
binary version with index is like reinventing the wheel IMO where
embedded database like SQLite, or Berkeley DB would provide out of the
box. Instead, why not use an embedded database for storage and add a
utility to read/process/update the database.

The usage scenario would be something like

wgetdb --list 10 --sort date # list last 10 downloaded links
wgetdb --delete --older 1m # delete links older than one month
etc.

Using something like a popular embedded database will also give easier
interoperability of the data IMO. I can create a code in some
interpreted language to read the database in much shorter time if the
data is saved in an SQLite database instead of a text file with format
specification (would have to create the parser first) or a proprietary
binary format.

OK, that's some suggestions I have. Thanks for your time :D

---
Charles.